Pages

Saturday, September 1, 2007

Heal Thyself...

Wednesday: I was enjoying the new warm weather, looking forward to a commitment free study weekend for a looming mid semester exam. Thursday, whack, I go down with what I fear to be flu ( Australia has also received equine flu for the first time in its history…more about that in a mo). Self examination: Cold shivers, clear runny mucus, fragile feeling, aches in muscles and joints, irritability, fatigue, tongue: pale moist white coat. So I diagnosed a “cold condition” and drank ginger, cinnamon and fang feng decoction. Tasted ok, but didn’t really help. Friday sweats, yellow sputum, now coughing, dizziness tongue still pale though. So I called the mum doctor and she came over with a pharmacy product containing paracetamol, codeine and phenylephrine hydrochloride. Didn’t really want to take it, but under pressure to finish natural medicine study deadlines…didn’t really help. Anyway Saturday I went to the Western Doctor. I asked him if I had equine flu as a joke, and he said what’s 2 plus 2 and I said 4, and he said I didn’t as I hadn’t stamped the answer out on the floor. Hahaha. He said to just take plenty of fluid and stop taking the pharmacy product as I had a viral infection with a very inflamed throat, but no temperature. Saturday evening now and I feel I should be right for study on Sunday. The interesting observation is how far away I am from consulting a Chinese Medicine practitioner from the onset of an illness and how challenging it was to take a pharmacy product. I was disappointed that my decoctions hadn’t really helped too. So many questions…I guess it was an experiment...
As an additional note on Monday we did somewhat random acupuncture points practice and Tuesday I started a programme of herbs for 2 weeks and it was a full moon on Wednesday...Related to my current condition???

6 comments:

Unknown said...

WAREWOLF!!!!!

majikfaerie said...

Wow, and I thought I was the only 'natural healing' type who occasionally caves under pressure of dire illness.

The equine flu is no laughing matter... LMAO!
Did your Dr really say that or is it an old joke??

Damien Bodnarchuk B.Hlth Sc Tradtional Chinese Medicine said...

Haha. No he really did that! Its good sign when they have a SOH!

On reflection now I think it is an old joke.Probably gave him great pleasure to throw it into a clinical setting.mmm

Unknown said...

So sorry that it's been such a downer and that my magic chemist medicine didn't do the trick! Hope that now you're on the up and putting this down to experience. Of what I don't know! But you'll learn something from it I'm sure. Luvsya

Mum

Dr Shuai said...

I would have recommended Yin Qiao San, hot soup and some exercise to sweat out the xie qi... and of course lots of rest

Unknown said...

i would have gone for Xiao Yao San! my favorite and most abused formula.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails